Thursday, February 14, 2013

Economics and Poverty


The three items we looked at for our discussion on children and poverty were certainly informative, but did not necessarily change my view on poverty altogether. I definitely found them to be insightful nonetheless. From the reading, I was able to take a closer and more in depth look at the self-sufficiency standard. While words may affect the heart and mind, a much greater impact can be gained from visual representation; especially with a subject such as this. That being said, it should be of no surprise that I gained more from the Frontline segment. The podcast had more of an impact than the reading, but not enough to stir any emotion. The situation Mr. Puente faced did not seem so foreign to me, as I’ve had friends experience similar situations. I certainly do not discredit it as a source of understanding. As for the video, I’ve already mentioned the effect it had, but now I will share why.
Frontline chose three families, whose situations were described through the eyes of their children; for the most part. Seeing it through the eyes of a nine year old girl, or a twelve year old boy made it strike me that much more. Each family had a completely different situation, and the kids handled the changes differently. While neither of them were happy about being “poor,” I found it more incredible how much pride Britney had in her family. She wasn’t ashamed, she was simply glad her family members were okay (with the exception of her mother of course). Her school’s Nutrition Club idea was excellent, in my opinion.
Kaylie’s mother lost it all in an attempt to further her education. This alarms me, and is unfortunately something our country must work on. Education is so costly, yet without it, we are often doomed to failure. Many employers will not hire those without a degree, pushing families beneath the poverty line. Kaylie’s mother could not afford childcare, and therefore could not work multiple jobs to afford a living as a single parent. Her and her brother Tyler could not even attend school, because they moved constantly. As a result it’s now affecting their futures even more than before. I’ll admit I dropped a few tears when they had to choose which dog to give up for adoption.
Jasmine’s family, though in a shelter, seemed to be making an effort to break free. The argument her brother had with her mother about shoes made me remember situations I’d been in growing up. When my parents first divorced, it was a bit rough monetarily. There were things many of my friends had that my father simply could not afford (I lived with my father). After a while I accepted it, though as a child it was a hard concept to grasp, and we know how mean kids can be. It seems as though Jasmine’s brother hasn’t reached the acceptance point yet.In order to be successful in situation teachers need to have an open mind. They must also be understanding of the students’ circumstances when grading and assigning assignments. For example, a teacher should not assign a project that requires money to be spent on supplies, unless the school can offer them to these specific students for free. Students should not be afraid to come to their teachers for help, or simply to have someone to talk to. Britney’s family had Nutrition Club, and I think schools should implement similar programs, if they are not already established. Teachers and administrators must encourage excellence. It may be good to host an assembly that will accomplish this; if the school can afford it. In turn, the government needs to work more towards improving educational options for those who cannot afford it. A woman in Kaylie’s mothers situation should have had access to grants. What can we do to encourage more attention to be paid to this aspect of education?

No comments:

Post a Comment