Monday, September 17, 2012

Teacher's Pages

I've decided to journey back to my old grade schools' district website for this assignment. I remember what it looked like back when I attended its schools. I can assure you its come quite a long way since my childhood days. I plan to teach middle school or high school social studies, and I figured it's a tad more likely that I'd find teacher's pages in the former. I found myself looking directly at my 8th grade social studies teacher's page, Mrs. Faiella, on the Marlboro Middle School website. Ironically enough, my younger sister is in her class now. Guess I'll know when she's avoiding assignments! =) The school's PAGE is more or less identical to the districts site. Information with regards to contacts, school hours, an updated list of clubs, educational resources, an updated faculty list, a brief history of the school, an academic calendar, athletics, student council, student supply lists, and an event calendar, though commonly found on most websites, are certainly helpful. What makes this one stand out, is that it also includes access to important documents/forms, radon testing results, food allergy guidelines, important deadlines, urgent news, anti-bullying info., and a separate link to teacher's pages. This page leaves absolutely NOTHING out. It's easy to navigate, and somewhat easier to navigate than our own university's website. As far as the teacher's page is concerned… if there was ever any doubt as to what subject this incredible educator teaches, she has an American flag plastered in the top left-hand corner of the page. Also on the left, she has a link to a syllabus-like page, which more or less outlines the units to be covered each marking period. Below that is a link to the homework she's given to each class period. Fairly basic, and simple enough to understand. As I navigated the teacher's pages, I saw names that I recognized but not from Marlboro Middle School. My 8th grade year, the district decided to revamp itself and move the 6th graders into the middle school. Hence the reason I'm finding teachers I had during my time at Mar El (Marlboro Elementary) on the middle school's page. So i decided to compare my two most memorable teachers. The two women who are directly responsible for my wanting to become a social studies teacher. Mrs. Altman, my 6th grade teacher, teaches Ancient Civilizations. The moment you navigate to her page you can not only tell by the red bolded topic plastered in the center, but the pictures she has throughout the page. In addition to the items posted on Mrs. Faiella's page, Mrs. Altman's page ALSO links to important files/study guides, educational links, and educational puzzles. I find this page to be much more useful/beneficial, to the viewer. It's much more colorful, and has more tools for success. I would expect nothing less from her to tell you the truth! It was pretty cool to see what my former teachers have been up to in the last decade!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie, nice to meet you! We are in the same group. Its a great feeling when you remember your old professors/ teachers and all the moments in the classroom. I sometimes go to my HS and chat or sometimes even jam with my music teacher who inspired me same as your teachers introduced you to the social studies.

    ReplyDelete